this time of year is fantastic. everything is so green and grow-y. jane even climbed in to some stingy nettles to check a geocache for travelbugs. there were none.
earlier in the day we went ice skating with friends. i noted that ice skating is like a mini-example of parenting:
* you start by pretty much carrying your kids round the rink
* then they trust you and you go round hand in hand
* after a number of exhausting laps you start to let go
* eventually they go free and start zooming round on their own much faster than you do
* and finally, you fall over in a very dramatic way, and they laugh their heads off.
the new rules on passport photos are very exact and it’s important you get your eyes at exactly the right part of the picture. but that’s tricky if you are 7 years old and the seat doesn’t go high enough.
kezia and i thought about this in advance (following a rather disastrous and expensive trip a few months back) so decided to take a cushion. but when we got there we realised we’d forgotten it.
we weren’t going to be beaten so instead we popped in to the local supermarket and bought 4 rolls of environmentally friendly kitchen rolls. in their packets they were just the right height (when placed 2 on 2) for kezia to get her mug shot in comfort.
this was our first attempt with just one layer which wasn’t enough. i didn’t take a picture with the two layers as i was holding on to her so she didn’t fall off !